Taken from the book : Tools for the Patient & Provisions for the Thankful
By Shaykh ul –Islaam Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah
Translated by Abbas Abu Yahya
Imam Ahmad – may Allaah have mercy upon him – said: ‘Allaah – Subhanahu – mentions Sabr (patience) in the Qur’aan in 90 places.’
And we will mention the different types of Ayaat where Sabr(patience) is mentioned, and Sabr is of many types:
1)The command of having patience. As in His saying:
((And endure patiently, for your patience is not but from Allah))
((So wait patiently for the command of your Lord))
2) The prohibition of what opposes patience. Like in His saying:
((And be in no haste about them (Unbelievers).))
And His saying:
((So do not become weak, nor be sad))
And His saying: ((And be not like the Companion of the Fish)) and in brief, having patience with everything He has prohibited, since it opposes patience, which He has commanded us to have.
3) Attaching success to patience. As in His saying:
((O you who believe! Endure and be more patient, and guard your territory by stationing army units permanently at the places from where the enemy can attack you, and fear Allah so that you may be successful.))
So He attached success to all of these matters together.
4) Notification that the reward is multiplied for the patient ones, more than the other people.
Like His saying:
((These will be given their reward twice over, because of what they were patient with))
And His saying:
((Only those who are patient shall receive their rewards in full, without reckoning))
Sulayman bin al-Qasim said: ‘The reward for every action is known, except the reward for patience. Allaah Ta’ala said: ((Only those who are patient shall receive their rewards in full without reckoning)). Then Sulayman said: ‘like a heavy rain fall.’
5) Linking patience with leadership in the Deen and with havingYaqeen (certainty), Allaah Ta’ala said:
((And We made from among them (children of Israel) leaders, giving guidance under Our command, when they were patient and used to believe in Our Ayaat.))
So with patience and certainty, leadership is achieved in the religion.
6) Allaah makes them victorious, by Allaah – Subhanahu- being with them. He Ta’ala said: ((Surely, Allah is with those who are patient)).
Abu ‘Alee ad-Daqaaq said: ‘The Sabiroon (patient ones) are victorious and have honour in both worlds, since they have been told that Allaah is with them.’
7) That Allaah Ta’ala has combined three matters for the Sabiroonwhich He did not gather for anyone other than them. They are that Allaah gives the Salaat upon them (i.e. those who are blessed & will be forgiven) from Himself, and gives them mercy from Himself, and He gives them guidance from Himself.
Allaah Ta’ala said:
((But give glad tidings to those who are patient. Who when afflicted with calamity say: “Truly! To Allaah we belong and to Him we shall return. “They are those on whom are the Salaawat (who are blessed and will be forgiven) from their Lord, and they are those who receive His Mercy, and it is they who are the guided ones.))
Some of the Salaf said – the patient person is honoured according to the affliction that he has been given – ‘What is wrong with me that I am not patient, and indeed Allaah has promised me three characteristics for being patient, and every one of these characteristics is better than the world and everything in it.’
8) Allaah Subhanahu made Sabr as an aid and a tool, and He commanded us to take assistance with Sabr, and He said: ((And seek help in patience and prayer)) so whoever has no Sabr, has nothing to help him.
9) Allaah Subhanahu attached victory to patience and piety, Allaah Ta’ala said: ((Yes, if you hold on to patience and piety, and the enemy comes rushing at you; your Lord will help you with five thousand angels having distinctive marks)) this is why the Prophet –sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam– said: ‘and know that victory comes with patience.’
10) Allaah Subhanahu made patience and piety a great form of protection from the deception of the enemy and his evil planning. So the slave does not request a form of protection greater than patience and piety. Allaah Ta’ala said: ((But if you remain patient and become pious, not the least harm will their cunning do to you))
11) Allaah Subhanahu said that His Angels send their salaams upon those who have patience, in Paradise. Like He said:
((And the angels shall enter unto them from every gate saying: Salamun Alikum for what you were patient with! Excellent indeed is the final home.))
12) That Allaah Subhanahu allows the patient people to punish the enemy for what they, the enemy, afflict upon them, and then Allaah swears, stressing an oath with utmost emphasis, that being patient is better for them.
So He says:
((And if you punish your enemy, then punish them with the like of that with which you were afflicted. But if you endure patiently, verily, it is better for those who are patient.))
So ponder over this oath which uses [some of the words, which show great emphasis in the Arabic language, (Translators note)] in the answer.
13) That Allaah Subhanahu has prepared forgiveness and a great reward for patience and good actions.
So He said : ((Except those who show patience and do righteous good deeds, for them is forgiveness and a great reward )) and Allaah has exempted these patient ones, from those despised types of humans who are characterized with despair and disbelief when they are afflicted, and with delight and pride when they receive a blessing. There is no escape from this despised character except with patience and good actions, just like forgiveness and a great reward cannot be acquired except with patience and good actions.
14) That Allaah Subhanahu made Sabr for afflictions from the things He had determined, meaning that from those things that are determined are the most noble and the most honoured, and Allaah said :
((And verily, whosoever shows patience and forgives, that would truly be from the things recommended by Allaah))
And Luqman said to his son: ((Enjoin what is good and forbid what is wrong, and bear with patience whatever befalls you. Verily, these are some of the important commandments ordered by Allaah with no exception))
15) Allaah promised the believers victory and success. This is His word, which He told them previously and it is a beautiful word, and He informs them that they can only achieve this victory and success with patience.
Allaah Ta’ala said:
((And the fair word of your Lord was fulfilled for the children of Israel, because of their endurance))
16) Allaah Subhanahu linked His love with patience and He made it for the patient.
He Ta’ala said:
((And many a Prophet fought (in Allaah’s way) and along with him (fought) large bands of religious learned men. But they never lost heart for that which befell them in Allaah’s way, nor did they weaken or degrade themselves. And Allaah loves those who are patient.))
17) That Allaah Subhanahu informs us about a good characteristic and it is not attained except by the patient, and He mentions this in two places in His Book : in Soorat al-Qassas about the story of Qaroon, and those who were given knowledge said to those who wished they had what they had been given :
(( Woe to you! The reward of Allah (in the Hereafter) is better for those who believe and do righteous good deeds, and this none shall attain except those who are patient))
And in Soorat Ha-Mim Sajda, where the slave is commanded to repel evil with that which is better than it, so if he does this, then he will become closer with the one with whom he had enmity as if he was a close and beloved friend, then Allaah Ta’ala said:
((But none is granted such goodness except those who are patient, and none is granted it except the owner of the great portion (of the happiness in the Hereafter).))
18) Allaah Subhanahu informs us that indeed those who benefit from His Ayaat, and He admonishes them with these Ayaat, are the patient and thankful people.
Allaah Ta’ala said: ((And indeed We sent Moses with Our Ayaat “Bring out your people from the darkness into light, and remind them of the Days of Allah.” Truly, in this there are signs for every patient, thankful person.))
And Allaah Ta’ala said about Luqman:
((Do you not see the ships sail through the sea by the grace of Allah? That He may show you His signs? Verily in this are signs for every patient, grateful person.))
And He Ta’ala said regarding the story of Saba:
((So We made them as tales (in the land), and We dispersed them all, totally. Verily, in this are signs for every steadfast, grateful person.))
And He Ta’ala said:
((And among His signs are the ships, in the sea, like mountains. If He Wills, He can cause the wind to cease, and then they would become motionless on the back (of the sea). Verily in this are signs for everyone who is patient and grateful.))
So these are four places in the Qur’aan which indicate that those who benefit from the Ayaat of the Lord are the patient and thankful people.
19) That Allaah Ta’ala commended His slave Ayyoob with the best of praise due to his patience.
He Ta’ala said:
((Truly We found him patient. How excellent a slave! Verily, he was ever oft-turning in repentance (to Us)!)).
So He called Ayyoob an excellent slave, by knowing that he was a patient person, and this indicates that the person who does not have patience when he is afflicted by trials is indeed a wretched slave.
20) Allaah Subhanahu gave a verdict of loss, as a general verdict about everyone who does not believe, and they are not from the people of Haqq (truth) and patience. This shows that no one benefits except the people upon the truth and with patience.
Allaah Ta’ala said: ((By ‘Al-Asr’ (the Time). Verily! Man is in loss. Except those who believe and do righteous good deeds, and recommend one another to the truth and recommend one another with patience.))
This is why Shafiee said: ‘If all the people ponder over this Ayaah it would suffice them.’ This is why the perfection of a slave is in the perfection of his sustenance: the sustenance of knowledge and the sustenance of good actions, and they are Imaan and righteous actions. And just as the slave needs to perfect himself, he also needs to perfect others than himself, and that is done with advising with the truth and advising with patience, and the basis for this and its foundation and the trunk upon which it stands is indeed Sabr.
21) Allaah singled out the people of the right hand in that they are the people of patience and compassion. They are characterized as such due to their having these two characteristics, and that they advise others with these characteristics.
Allaah Ta’ala said:
((Then he became one of those who believed, and recommended one another to perseverance and patience, and also recommended one another to mercy and compassion. They are those on the Right Hand (the dwellers of Paradise).))
This is restricted to the people of the right hand who have these two characteristics. People in comparison to these two characteristics are of four types: those who have these two characteristics are the best of these four types; the evilest type is the one who does not have any patience nor does he have any mercy; the type that follows next is he who has patience but no mercy; then after them is the fourth type who has mercy and compassion, but has no patience.
22) Allaah Subhanahu linked Sabr with the ‘Arkaan (pillars) of Islaam and with all the aspects of Imaan:
He linked patience with Salah (prayer), like in His saying:
((And seek help in patience and prayer))
And He linked patience with general good deeds, like His saying:
((Except those who show patience and do righteous good deeds, for them is forgiveness and a great reward))
And He linked it to piety. Like His saying: ((Verily, he who fears Allaah with obedience to Him and is patient. ))
And He linked it to being thankful. Like His saying:
((Truly, in this there are signs for every patient, thankful person.))
And He attached patience to the truth. Like His saying: ((And recommend one another to the truth and recommend one another with patience))
And He linked it with mercy. Like His saying: ((And recommended one another to perseverance and patience, and also recommended one another to mercy and compassion))
And He linked it with Yaqeen (certainty). Like His saying: ((When they were patient and used to believe in Our Ayaat))
And He linked patience to truthfulness. Like in His saying: ((The men and women who are truthful, the men and women who are patient.))
And He made patience as a reason for His love, and His closeness and His victory, and His help and His good reward. Just some of these characteristics are sufficient as a honour and a favour, and Allaah knows best.
All Praise belongs to Allaah, may His peace and blessings be upon our final Prophet Muhammad, his family, his companions and all those who follow his guidance.
 Nahl 16 : 127
 Tur 52:48
 Ahqaf 46: 35
 Qalaam 68:48
 3: 200
 Qassas 28:54
 Zumar 39:10
 Zumar 39:10
 Sajda 32:24
 Anfaal 8:46
 2: 155- 157
 2 : 45
 3 : 125
 Authentic – narrated by at-Tirmidhee
 3: 120
 ar-raad 13:23- 24
 nahl 16:126
 Hud 11:11
 ash-Shura 42:43
 Luqman 31:17
 araaf 7:137
 3 : 146
 al-Qasaas 28:80
 Fussilat 41:35
 Ibrahim 14:5
 Luqman 31:31
 Saba 34:19
 Shura 42:32- 33
 Saad 38:44
 Al-balad 90:17-18
 2 : 45
 Hud 11:11
 Yusuf 12:90
 Ibrahim 14:5
 Asr 3
 Balad 90:17
 Sajda 32:24
 Ahzaab 33:35